Friday, October 28, 2011

Radio Silence, by Jenn

At orientation we went through a big hullabaloo about if you write negative things on your blog, they can take on a mind of their own and all of the sudden saying that there is smog in LA turns into there are aliens living at the Hollywood sign and they are taking over the world.  Hmmm…sounds like a new MOVIE idea!!!  But you know what I am saying.  The last few weeks have been super challenging and I think it would be fair for me to say that there have been more reasons to be angry/negative than happy/positive…so that would be the reason for the radio silence.  I was being overly cautious about posting my true feelings and impressions.  


So what happened?  God spoke…well, he spoke with humans at least.  Many of you know that I adore my church at home…shout out to Clemmons Presbyterian Church, but one of the things that has been a wonderful surprise has been the sermons at First Presbyterian Church of Hollywood.  (www.fpch.org) FPCH is the sponsoring congregation for the YAV program and had maintained an urban ministry called the Hollywood Urban Project for a long time before the transition. The current pastor, Dan Baumgartner, has been at the church for about a year.  There is no rule that says you must attend a Presbyterian church, but I really enjoy traditional services and the organist is amazing at FPCH so I figured I would start with their 9:30am traditional service.  FPCH puts a single lined sheet in their bulletin that is titled “sermon notes,” and I figured that my first item to do as an “adult” was to take notes on the sermon.  Imagine my surprise when THE FIRST sermon that Pastor Dan preached when we got to Hollywood on September 4th was on Colossians 3:15-17
Let the peace of Christ rule in your heats, since as members of one body you were called to peace.  And be thankful.  Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, as you sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.  And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
This sermon was all about the work that we do.  I left a position as an Accountant for Beco Inc. to come to Hollywood this year.  It was an incredibly difficult decision to make, it left them in a bind, but they were all very supportive of this journey in spite of that!  
Pastor Dan posed 3 dead ends in our mission to glorify God with our work.
1.  If we see our work separate from the rest of life.
2.  If we “put up” with work.  ”Sometimes I do what I want, and sometimes I do what I have to do.”
3.  If we look for our work to develop our identity.
I’m not really going to break those down at the moment, but what was truly moving was that MY FIRST worship experience in Hollywood was all about WORK!  Something I was all too familiar with.  Pastor Dan then posed three questions that we should all ask ourselves about our work:
1.  Are we doing good work? (Meaning are we serving others with our labor)
2.  What type of work are you doing?
3.  Who are you working with?
Once again, I’m not really going to break these down except to say that all work, as long as it is to the Glory of God, is worthy work.  Those who are teachers are not “better people” than bankers or accountants just because their work is in direct service to young people.  (Although I am grateful to all of  my teachers, including my friends and family that are currently teachers)  My point is that, ALL work comes from God and it is only through his Glory that we will excel at it.  
This post has in no way shape or form addressed my earlier comments about the struggles I have had since being in Hollywood, but I have been wanting to talk about this sermon for weeks.  I miss my family that is Clemmons Presbyterian Church and there have been a ton of sermons that Rev. Hoyle has preached in the last 4 years that have moved me to action, including one that got me to Hollywood, but I just want to thank God for bringing me FPCH and acknowledge that when I STAY for the 11am contemporary service it is because God is speaking through that church and saying the things I need to hear.
Jennifer

No comments: