Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Jesus Set Me Free!



Wendy and Kenna freely exploring during Curtis' Community Day in Laguna Beach.


Christ has set us free to live a free life. So take your stand! - Galatians 5:1, The Message


Last week I was driving along the historic Arroyo Seco Parkway on my way to Pasadena to visit Curtis at his worksite. Otherwise known as The 110, it's probably one of the most dangerous highways in America with all of its sharp turns and curves through the mountains between exits and entrance ramps that are smaller than most driveways. Carefully winding my way north, my eyes fell upon the side of a small house with the following painted as big as a billboard:


JESUS SET ME FREE


Immediately, I began pondering whether the sentence was a joyful proclamation or a desperate plea. And then, I realized, it's probably both.


For those of us who believe in Christ as our savior, we can probably reckon back to a moment, or series of moments, where we felt the burden on our souls significantly lifted by the love of Jesus. But the story continues, and I for one can admit that even though that has occurred in my life, I constantly feel the need to ask for a renewed sense of freedom. Especially as the burdens of life begin to build up again, like sediment collecting and stopping up a river every now and again.


Jesus, please, set us free.


The interesting balance I find, is that often the moment we ask Jesus to do this, we find that it's already done. As we step towards thanksgiving, or really, just the reminder that if we haven't been thankful in awhile, now is as good a time as any to begin, I hope we can find ways to celebrate the Freedom of Christ with grace and gratitude.


Many blessings, and thanks for reading!

"Aqua Man" celebrating new freedom in a bigger home.


Will celebrating his love of futbol with many of the kids from the Bible Study.



You're free to join us for Thanksgiving along with the rest of the neighborhood! We've been making pies since Monday!


No comments: