Thursday, November 5, 2009

2 1/2 Hours, By Curtis



"Attention, all! See the marvels of God! He plants flowers and trees all over the earth, bans war from pole to pole, breaks all the weapons across his knee. Step out of the traffic! Take a long, loving look at me, your High God, above politics, above everything!" - Psalm 46:10, The Message


4 days a week I spend a total of 2 1/2 hours a day riding on the bus. The 780 Metro Rapid is the exact one, Hollywood and Vine to Colorado and Los Robles. You would think that riding on the bus that long would get really old and boring, but it has been a time that I almost catch myself looking forward to. I ride my bike up the street a little over a mile and begin to wait for the bus. I have waited on buses anywhere from 2 seconds to an hour, but usually around 10 minutes. I put my bike on the front of the bus, tap my TAP card (prepaid card each month) on the machine, and head to find a seat. I usually head to the back and hope for a corner seat in the back row because that gives me a little more leg room and a window to lean on, but sometimes I just have to sit where I can find a spot. Friday afternoons are the most crowded on my way home from work for whatever reason, it's usually standing room only, but most of the time there are several seats available at my stop. Most days I have my headphones in listening to either some soft Christian music or some country songs to make me feel at home. I choose that music because I try to read and listen at the same time. I typically read a chapter or so and then try to spend some time in prayer and just being silent in the midst of the busy traffic. I have found this time to be exactly what I was missing in my relationship with God over the last four years. I didn't take very much time in college to really just be still and quiet with God.


If you'd like to learn more about Dwell, a year of intentional Christian community, service, and simple living, please click here.





No comments: