Friday, June 19, 2009

Greater Things Have Yet to Come


"Believe me: I am in my Father and my Father is in me. If you can't believe that, believe what you see—these works. The person who trusts me will not only do what I'm doing but even greater things, because I, on my way to the Father, am giving you the same work to do that I've been doing. You can count on it. From now on, whatever you request along the lines of who I am and what I am doing, I'll do it. That's how the Father will be seen for who he is in the Son. I mean it. Whatever you request in this way, I'll do." John 14:11-13, The Message


This week was a fantastic mix of a high-school team from Denver and a middle-school team from Palo Alto. 53 people staying and working in LA with our Discover Program each day this week means that over 1,100 hours went into serving food, cleaning shelters, sorting donations, passing out toiletry and food to homeless folks, and building new relationships in the spirit of our Lord. Amen!


And yet, as we sang throughout the week, greater things are still to come, both here in this city, and in Denver and Palo Alto. We celebrated the long week last night by discussing how the lessons learned in Hollywood can be taken back to hometowns. It was such a blessing to hear that so many kids feel more compelled to reach out to the homeless in their own communities, mostly by going up and talking to them, hearing their story, and finding out what they need on a human to human level. God was truly revelatory this week, and I am singing praises over the truth that I witnessed the face of God in each and every kid who came to talk to me and share stories about their days.


I've posted some photos below, but if you went on the trip (or even if you didn't) and would like to see more and upload your own photos on Facebook, click here. To learn more about Dwell, our year-long mission, with young adults living in intentional Christian community and serving both the neighborhood and the community through agency placements, click here. To see and "meet" even more homeless families and individuals, visit Invisible People.


May God Bless the work that is yet to come, both here and in your cities!

Matthew (scroll down for more photos)


No comments: