Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Hollywood From Above

It was Tara’s turn to plan a community time, and she chose to have a dinner with the Dwellers' next-door neighbors and then took us all up to Mulholland Drive to lift each other up.

It was calm and a little cool, the marine layer had started to roll in off the ocean, and looking down on Universal Studios and North Hollywood, the city lights had that glowing halo thing going on.  We were a little huddled mass on the mountaintop, one by one sharing a compliment and a thankfulness for each person.  

“I appreciate how you calm me down.”  “I appreciate how you always make me laugh, even on hard days.”  “I appreciate how much you care for all of us.”  “I appreciate how grounded you are.”  “I appreciate when you listen, you’re a really good listener……” It went on until we closed in prayer.

It wasn’t a dramatic Moses mountaintop moment, but as I drove down from the mountain, I felt the resonance of the commandment of Jesus: Love your neighbor as yourself.  

A moment to pause and lift one another up.

Peace,
Matthew

No comments: