Thursday, December 5, 2013

Both And, by City Director Matthew

Ilé at Mama's International Tamales
A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of auditing a Fuller Seminary class on Henri Nouwen with Dwell alumni, Will Quay.  Professor Wil Hernandez urged us to consider Nouwen’s thinking on the damaging nature of “either/or” mentalities.  Either I win, or you do.  The disciples argued about who would be closest to Jesus.  Either you, or me.  Either/or mentality shoved native peoples off of this land, made for you and me. 

A recent statement by Pope Francis, circulating widely on Facebook right now, echoes this danger: “Today everything comes under the laws of competition and the survival of the fittest, where the powerful feed upon the powerless.  As a consequence, masses of people find themselves excluded and marginalized: without work, without possibilities, without any means of escape.”

Instead, doesn’t Jesus encourage us to think inclusively, to say both you AND you AND I can sit at the table of God?  The would-be stone throwers AND the woman who was to receive death by stoning?  The warden and the prisoner.  The Mexican and the United States-ian.  You AND me.

DOOR has been encouraging me in this sense of invitation for years now.  I recently had to write a one-sentence description of Hollywood for the Young Adult Volunteer site.  Here’s what I came up with: “In a city known for its storytelling and its very famous residents, Hollywood YAVs learn the joys of mutual hospitality with their Central and South American neighbors while uncovering the overlooked stories of the largest and most diverse homeless population in the country.”  We have been inviting homeless and housed to the table for years now, and the stories are rich and painful, moving and convicting, human and emotional and joyful. 
Dwellers and Discover group listen to Ilé describe the empowering
work of Mama's.




And yet, I’m still challenged.  I was at a coffeeshop last week, and a man named Brad sat down next to me, as there was room at my table.  Brad talked about ancient Egyptian philosophies and the conflict with modern expressions of Christianity.  Brad told me he opted to be without a home because he didn’t need the trappings of capitalism.  Brad was brilliant.  Brad was intimidating.  We had a nice conversation.  We listened.  And on my walk home, I swear God uses my iPod to send me messages, because Ani DiFranco’s “Garden of Simple” came on, and the line “science chases money and money chases it’s tail and the best minds of my generation can’t make bail.”

God, how have we become so competitive?  How is it that some can have so much and some so little?  How do some get so lost in the shuffle, so stuck in the prison of losing?  Is Brad the one without, or am I, even with my apartment and my iPod?  Who decides?

And this has been a great and terrible year for DOOR.  We had some of the best program and discussions I’ve ever heard, from the downfalls of gentrification to the reality of the hard work of racial reconciliation.  We had the lowest number of visitors we’ve ever had, which for a non-profit educational ministry has financial implications. 

Can we sit with BOTH our success AND our failure?  Can we celebrate even in hard times?  Can we invite people to come even when we’re not sure if there will be food on the table?

Brad bought me a coffee. 

I invite you to come break tamales with us at DOOR, either for a day, a week, or a year.  I promise, God’s faithfulness will not be in question, and is likely to blow us all away.

No comments: