Friday, October 18, 2013

Unveiling, by Dweller John

During the day, people often come to the church looking for help of various sorts (clothes, food, housing, etc.). I had a man named Bobby simply ask if he could use the phone as he only had 5 minutes left on his prepaid phone, which he promptly showed me. He explained that he was not from Los Angeles and just needed to get home. Bobby came into the church with the sole purpose of using the phone. Little did he know more would happen.

As we sat in front of the phone, Bobby started explaining his story. He was originally from New Jersey, coming from Atlanta, and did not find what he was looking for here. His company in Georgia ended up letting him go. He heard that the company had a branch in Los Angeles and decided to make the trip out here to find work. He was unable to find work at the branch here, resulting in a heart struck man, homeless man. Bobby had a very manly demeanor. He looked like he had been a boxer of some sort back in his day. As he was explaining this entire scenario his eyes started to tear up a tiny bit, surprisingly so.

Bobby picked up the phone and started dialing a man high up in a company in Georgia. There was no answer and he explained that the voicemail told him to text message a phone number for him to call you back. I texted the number and Bobby continued.

He explained that he hadn't been home to New Jersey in 7 years. During this time, he had grandson born. That grandson is now 6 years old. Bobby had never met him. He also told me about his now 8 year old granddaughter. The tears started to run down his cheek. Bobby exclaimed that he was so upset that he was not there for them. He was not there to be a grandpa. The look on his face was one of sorrow, his eyes turning red. Bobby started to apologize for crying. He explained that this was the first time he had ever said that to anyone. We talked for a little bit more before the phone rang.

I answered and spoke with a man about Bobby. It was not but a 3 minute conversation before the man had to hang up the phone as he was rather busy. He said that he knew Bobby, and understood the situation. Bobby and the man knew each other from their work in Atlanta. He again said he would call back, but this time I gave him Bobby's cell phone number to call.

Bobby had let up the tears and calmed down. He thanked me for speaking with him about the situation. He said that no one, in all of the places he had been looking for help, would listen to what he had to say. Bobby realized one thing. He wanted to see his grandson more than get back to work in Georgia.

As I looked at the time, I realized that Bobby and I had been speaking for over an hour. I said that I needed to get back to what I was doing and Bobby understood. Before he left, we prayed. Bobby slowly left the church with no idea where to go. As I walked back into church, I heard Bobby's phone ring. I looked back and saw Bobby smiling, looking up and pointing. Considering he only had 5 minutes left on the phone, the call must've been short, but important.

I don't know what happened thereafter. I have not seen Bobby back at the church since. I don't know if he made his way back to Atlanta or to New Jersey. I do know one thing though. I saw Bobby smiling. Something in that phone call changed his mood. 

C.S. Lewis speaks about 'unveiling' ourselves before God. "We must choose to uncover before God and reveal the concerns, questions, and even doubts or complaints that we have concealed deep within us." Bobby unveiled himself in this conversation with me. He found that he wanted not to be in work, but with family. In doing so, it seems that he found what he'd been looking for deep in his heart. Seeing another person unveil who they are before me was moving.

Lewis goes on to say "We must lay before Him what is in us, not what ought to be in us."As I continue this work, I can only hope to unveil myself before God. Knowing what is in me is something that it hard to put into words. I challenge myself and all of you reading to try and unveil yourself before the Lord.

-John

No comments: