Thursday, March 18, 2010

Wherever You Go

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. - Joshua 1:9, NIV

Performing some yard work at the Alegria House.

Sometimes, God surprises me. I did not expect to be the recipient of such ministry and grace by the two groups that were here, and yet, that's indeed what happened. College students from Tucson came to serve in agencies throughout LA and a team from Spring Arbor University in Michigan donated their time and talents to helping create a film about how God is alive and well here in Hollywood. The hope and prayer is that it will encourage others to come along and see.

God truly met me through these groups. In the relationships they built with the Dwellers, with the neighborhood kids and families, with the volunteer coordinators at our various agencies, with homeless clients they sat down and had lunch with.... Many things threatened to damage the week, (primarily my own attitude and anxiety), and yet, God turned it all around and caused one of the most amazing weeks of synthesis between Discover and Dwell through the tireless work of the film crew. I find myself wishing they could come along every time! While I do know it is ultimately God who made this happen, thankful am I to learn of all these new willing and joyful servants of the Lord. I am certainly less discouraged, and trust, ever more so, that God is with me, and with us, wherever we go.

For more photos and more information about getting involved, click on any of the photos below:

Many blessings!

Matthew

P.S. Follow up to the previous blog "Turning the Other Cheek" (see below) : as God would have it, I bumped into the young man again who had chased me into my garage last week. I got to witness him shaking my baby girl's hand, just 5 days after my first complicated encounter with him. I got to learn a bit more about his life, too. God is truly amazing. I'm getting choked up just typing this.

P.P.S. Please keep our Dweller, Curtis, in your prayers. He's back home in Mississippi tending to his health, and may not be back for a few more weeks. We all miss him.

The film team interviews Sally Evans, Volunteer Coordinator at PATH.


Sharing an Emma-cooked-meal with neighborhood kids and Dwellers.

Human beings talking to other human beings....

No comments: