Friday, April 17, 2009

Family


"Take this most seriously: A yes on earth is yes in heaven; a no on earth is no in heaven. What you say to one another is eternal. I mean this. When two of you get together on anything at all on earth and make a prayer of it, my Father in heaven goes into action. And when two or three of you are together because of me, you can be sure that I'll be there." Matthew 18:18-20, The Message

I've been contemplating family, what it means, what it doesn't mean.  This week, Sara and Alison's families were in town visiting for the first time, and there was a strong sense of togetherness: in the laughter, in the stories, in the sharing of the awesome work that's being done in Hollywood and Los Angeles in the name of our Lord.  The picture above was from a community day cookout where we all spent time staying warm, staying well fed, and staying thankful.

A sense of family also seems to be growing amidst the Dwellers.  They are developing nick-names for each other and truly checking in and working towards intentionality, even as they develop new relationships in the city or work to maintain old ones from the past.  I truly believe in the truth of the verses from Matthew, as I am so blessed to be bearing witness to watching God's presence in glorious action this year.

Expanding the definition of family and gathering together in the name of God, it dawned on me last week that there is significant connectedness to the Discover groups coming into the city and serving agencies and individuals in Hollywood.  I felt like I was selfishly absorbing all that connection, so, thank God for Facebook, we created a page for all the DOOR Hollywood participants, past and present, to share stories, share photos, and share in the glory witnessing God here in our city.  You can connect in too, just click here.

Personally, my family is expanding.  Both physically and spiritually.  We are learning that yes does mean yes, and no should mean no as we are working to heal from a lack of spiritual boundaries in our past.  We are also planning on the addition of someone new, in about, say, 5 months.  In the spirit of several gathering together in petition to God, I ask for your prayers for our wisdom, our strength, and our joy to be part of God's creation in a new and exciting way.  

Blessings to you all!
Matthew

No comments: